The 2018 ASAC Convention was held in Wilmington, NC at the Embassy Suites Wilmington Riverfront. This year, the theme was “Managing the Three Ring Circus: Contracting Under the Big Top.”
This year, Ed Beck was our keynote speaker on Friday, June 8th. His session, “Lean Construction,” took us deep into the topic and how it is impacting and changing the construction industry one project at a time. This topic was discussed in a Charleston Chapter meeting earlier this year, and there was tremendous interest. We look forward to continuing our education in this very current trend in our industry in the future!
The second speaker on Friday was Mark Deverges, Senior Manager, Dixon Hughes Goodman, Asheville, NC. His segment, “Building Cultures of Recruitment, Building Cultures of Retention,” helped unpack some of the tactile secrets of retention and recruitment being used currently within construction industry firms. He also discussed current best practices for recruiting and retention, as well as how to maximize cash outlays by instilling more productive internal recruitment strategies. Specifically, this covered maximizing employee engagement (engage family), eliminating exit interviews as being the means for company course correction, and how to plan for success well.
Martha Ann Marley, President, M.A. Surety, LLC, Mooreseville, NC, was the first speaker Saturday, June 9th. Her educational seminar was “The Human Side of Construction.” She explored the connections between human behavior and financial performance within the commercial construction industry.
Duffie Powers, Partner, Gallivan White & Boyd, PA, Greenville, SC, was our second speaker on Saturday to discuss “Mechanic’s Liens, Payment Bonds & General Collections for Construction Projects in SC.” The information he provided on these topics was timely and is tailored to fit all members, regardless of the size of their company or revenue. The focus in the program was to educate subcontractors on the filing deadlines, processes and anticipated costs involved in the various stages of mechanic’s liens, payment bond claims and general collections litigation. If you attended this program, you left better prepared for dealing with collections issues in the future.
Thursday – June 7, 2018
|12:30 PM||Convention Registration Open||Pre-function|
|1:00-4:30||ASAC Full Board Meeting||Executive Boardroom|
|4:00||Hotel Check-In Time|
|6:00-7:00||Welcome Reception||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|(come dressed as your favorite circus character)|
Friday – June 8, 2018
|8:00-8:45 AM||Breakfast Buffet||Steam (2nd Floor)|
|8:45-9:45||General Membership Meeting||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|9:45-10:45||Program: “Lean Construction”||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|11:00-12:00||Program: “Building Cultures of Recruitment &|
|Cultures of Retention”||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|2:00-6:00||“Brew Ha Ha” (Optional Event)|
Saturday – June 9, 2018
|8:00-9:00 AM||Breakfast||Steam (2nd Floor)|
|9:15-10:45||Program: “The Human Side of Construction”||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|11:00-12:00||Program: “Mechanic’s Liens, Payment Bonds & General|
|Collections for Construction Projects in SC”||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|1:00||Golf – Cape Gear National (Optional Event)|
|7:30||Reception||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
|8:00||Banquet & Silent Auction||Riverfront Grand Ballroom: Salon 1|
Sunday – June 10, 2018
|11:00 AM||Hotel Check-Out|
- Your convention registration fee includes Thursday Welcome Reception, Friday Seminars, Saturday Seminars, Silent Auction and Banquet.
- Children are welcome to attend convention functions. However, there may be an additional charge for all functions where food is served. Please call the ASAC office for more information on registration for children.
- First-Time Attendees will receive a $50 gift credit card when you pick up your registration packages at the ASAC Convention Registration desk.
- The vendor registration fee includes table registration for two individuals, 8’x10’ space, six foot draped table, two chairs. Additional representatives are welcomed to attend for an additional $50 per person.
- “Brew Ha Ha” is an optional activity. The cost is $60 per person. Participants can enjoy lunch (not included in the price) in one of the many restaurants on the 3 block walk to Bomers Brewery where you will board the “Brew Ha Ha” bus for the trip to sample beers at 3 diferent breweries while being entertained by 3 different comedians. At the end of the tour, the bus will drop participants off at Embassy Suites. For more information, click here: http://portcitybrewbus.com/port-city-brew-ha-ha/
- Golf price includes cart, play and lunch. For more information on the course, click here: https://brunswickforest.com/championship-golf/
- Cancelation policy: ASAC charges $50 service charge for refunds prior to April 30th, 2018. No refunds are given on or after May 1st, 2018.
- Please note that the convention registration fee does not include hotel room reservations. Make your room reservation before Monday, May 7, 2018 online at http://group.embassysuites.com/asac, property code ILMCC, Group Event Nickname ASAC 2018 Convention, Group Code ASC or call 1-800-HILTONS. The room rate is $219 plus tax, which includes breakfast for registered guests. Current parking fees are $11 for self parking, $15 for valet parking.
My wife and I had a great time at this year's convention. The venue was excellent and the networking and social events were great. We will be there in Asheville next year
I loved the venue at the Embassy Suites. Great location and the banquet facilities were great. Great programs on Friday and Sat as well. Hospitality room was awesome and in a perfect location.
Brew Tour was fun (but a little long) and golf course was awesome. Roof Top bar was really cool but closed too early. Ha.
Great meeting with lots of take home value to all attendees. Kudos to Ms. Linda Burkett, ASA Executive Director and the ASAC Executive Committee for a fantastic event.